Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Digital Tuesday challenge


Digital Tuesday challenge this week is to make a card with non traditional folding or shape. I tried to achieve both here. I originally started out thinking I would just make a card out of the owl but couldn't figure out how to attach card to the back to make an actual card - in hindsight I now know how I could have done it but this works just as well. I truly enjoyed making this 'card' and the owl is just so damn cute. Again it is a digital stamp from Dustin Pike.

I will try and explain how I made this card but I didn't write down a lot of the details.
- I printed the image 3 times - one on SU Going Grey, one on Basic grey and the last onto So Saffron.
- cut out the middle Going Grey for face and chest and the detail on the wing.
- Cut out the beak with a craft knife and put in the So saffron. Cut out the feet/claws of the SS and attach with two way glue.
- Put the owl all together and highlight with white gel pen.
- Get an A4 piece of blue card and score at 5.5", turn over and score at 11". Fold the score lines so the 11" fold is pointing up.
- Cut an A4 piece of brown card (I used Chocolate chip) down to 8 1/4" x 7 1/4". Score it at 2" & 5 1/4". Turn over the card and score at 3 3/4" & 6 1/4".
- Cut out some brown card to make a tree trunk and some green card (I used SU Old Olive) to make some leaves. Attach the trunk and draw black lines down to look like bark and highlight with white pen. Do the same for the the two folded sides facing out.
- Attach the leaves with dimensional dots/tape.
- Glue the owl with two way glue. (I cut out the so saffron owl just inside the lines and attached to the back with a 1" piece still underneath to add stability to the owl when folded out).
- Print/stamp sentiment and attach.
- Attach two way tape to the inside of the blue card lip and attach it to the largest folded part of the brown card.
- put dimensional magic onto the beak to make it stand out.

I really hope that all made sense. Hehehe it is my first attempt at a tutorial.
Hope you like the card.
mwah

10 comments:

Cheryl said...

Fantastic,you did an amzing job with this card,I love it!!!
xx

Amy Johnson said...

Wow! Fabulous card! I just love that great big owl! Thanks so much for playing the Digital Tuesday Challenge!

Emma said...

Wow fantastic card...lurve the owl!!
Thanks for joining us at DTC and good luck.
Emma x

Anjou Krelovich said...

Wonderful card and great instructions!

Monica Anderberg said...

I am so jealous of your scrapping skills. Your things are just wonderful! You always combine lovely papers with gorgeous details! Thanks for all inspirations!
Hugs Monica

Unknown said...

What a great card! Thanks for joining us at DTC!

Lynda Nielsen said...

Awwww, so adorable! I hadn't seen that image from Dustin yet, this is just such an adorable image. and your card is FANTASTIC!
Excellent job!
Hugs
Lynda =)

Lora said...

Wow you did a fab job with the card and a fab tutorial too.
Thanks for joining us at the Digital Tuesday Challenge
Lora x

Michelle Redman said...

WOW Tracey!! You did an awesome job!! Totally love how you made this owl!! Thanks for joining us at the DTC!!

Carisa said...

OMG, this rocks! Great job - I love these little step cards, I have GOT to try one sometime. Thanks for playing along with us at DTC!!!