Friday, October 26, 2012

Red Velvet Trifle

In an attempt to make something yummy for a trivia night tomorrow night I thought I would make some red velvet something. My first attempt was the Red Velvet Pudding I made a couple days ago but that didn't go down too well with anyone except my No. 2 son who said he loved it but not too sure about that. 

Back to the drawing board. So Hubby said he doesn't like red velvet cake. Well - why not...???? I got him to try some last night after I cooked a slab of it and his response was - "It tastes like cake!". Well der but hello it is red velvet. Anyway. I am ashamed that my hubby doesn't like it. Just made. Anyway - this recipe is yummy and it has now been made in to Red Velvet 'Trifle'. Not trifle in the traditional sense as it has no jelly or custard but I guess the modern day type with the individual glasses. 

The Red Velvet cake was cooked but I actually halved the recipe but did one cake last night and another today (but to find I didn't need to- dang it - as I had to cut the 'rings' of cake in half as they were really thick). Made the 'Cheesecake' to go with it and blitzed some Oreos in my food processor. Yummo. 

Red Velvet Cake (my halved recipe)
1 1/4 cup plain flour (I used cake flour though)
1 cup sugar
1/2 Tbs cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda 
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 Tbs vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla 
25gms red food colour

Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
Grease and flour a cake pan. I used a 10 x 10 inch cake pan
Lightly stir eggs in a medium bowl with a wire whisk. Add remaining liquid ingredients and stir together with whisk until blended. Set aside.
place all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together with a wire whisk.
Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix on medium-high speed for about a minute or until completely combined.
Pour into cake pan and drop pan on counter to get rid of air bubbles.
Bake for about 25mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
After ten minutes, remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Cover in plastic wrap when cooling. 

Cheesecake
2 x 250g Cream cheese
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla
Mix both cream cheese blocks in mixer until really creamy. 
Add the sweetened condensed milk and mix until well combined. Add cream until mixed well. Add vanilla. 
To layer:
Get a circle cookie cutter that will cut a circle the size to fit your glass - I used a 2 3/8 inch cutter and cut out the required number of cake. I cut out 8 circle and then cut them in half so I had 16 circles. 
Blitz 1 packet of Oreo cookies in food processor and heap a large spoon full in to your glass/cup. Grab a spoon full of cheesecake mix and put on top of Oreo's. Layer a circle of cake and then another layer of cheesecake. More cake and then more cheesecake. Top with a small sprinkling of Oreos. Done. 

Just the ingredients before ready to go. 

1 comment:

Loz said...

OMGod! gimme gimme.. that looks divine :)