Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Red Velvet Pudding with Cream cheese

So I love red velvet. You all know that. I know that. I can't get enough. If I could I would eat it at least once a day - the cake especially but alas it is packed full of sugar, so it is definately a sometimes food for me here. No one else in the house is much of fan - go figure. My little girl likes it but is not in love with it. Boo hoo. 

Anyway - I bought an instant pudding mix the other day and it tastes good. Even though it was sugar free and fat free I still love it. So thought I would try and make it myself here at home. While looking up recipes I wondered if anyone had done a Red Velvet Pudding - yep sure had. I got the recipe from here at Completely Delicious. Absolutely awesome.

As no one else in the house really likes Red Velvet (seriously - oh the horror) I thought I would half the recipe. I did not make the pudding pie just the pudding. I made a 'Cheesecake' and crushed up some Oreos and tossed on to the top. The pudding by itself is really yummy and I must say that all of this together is so so so yummy. I think it is the 'saltiness' of the Oreos or the cream cheese in the topping. Either way it is yummy. 

My 7yr old son tried the pudding by itself and did not like - in fact my little girl didn't either so she has a separate dessert with just the topping and some oreos but she will live. Anyway - experimenting is good. You can't have triumphs all the time and I think this is a mini one. Yay....!!!

Red Velvet Pudding
3/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
20gms cocoa (I just put in half a 1/3 cup)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 Tablespoons corn flour
21gms unsalted butter
1/2 tablespoon red food colouring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
Combine milk, cream, sugar, and cocoa in a medium saucepan and stir to dissolve the sugar and cocoa. Heat the mixture over medium heat until steaming and bubbles appear around the edges. 
Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and cornflour. Add the heated chocolate mix to the egg mixture while whisking constantly. When fully combined, return the pot to the stove on medium high heat. With a spatula, stir constantly until mixture thickens, about 5 mins (mine took less than that). Do not allow to boil or buttermilk may curdle.  
Add butter, vanilla and red food colouring and stir until smooth. Strain mixture through a mesh strainer to remove any lumps (I didn't have to as there was no lumps). 
To make the cream cheese topping:In a large bowl mix 250g Cream cheese with 1/4 cup sugar. Add 200ml of whipping cream and mix until well combined. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and mix until just mixed. Add to the top of you Red velvet pudding (when cooled). 
Crush up some Oreos and sprinkle on top. Enjoy...!!!!

No comments: