Friday, August 3, 2012

Red Velvet Whoopie Cookies with Cream Cheese frosting

As you all know I have been looking up yummy recipes and I stumbled across Whoopie Cookies. Never heard of them before but they sounded good, as you know cake mix made in to a cookie it pretty darn good to me - so thought I would give them a go.

This is a really simple thing to make. Not many steps. I don't know where I got the recipe from as when I print them off - if they don't have the blog or website on the page I don't remember to write it down so very sorry for that.

Cookies ready for the oven.
Just out of the oven.
Ready to be iced with cream cheese frosting.
My miss enjoying the frosting.
Frosted and looking oh so yummy.
I tried one or two of the cookies by themselves which was oh so yummy. I ate one of the put together cookies and must admit that it was so very sickly sweet. Maybe it is because I am not one for super sweet things anymore. Next time (if there is one) I will make them without the frosting. They are good - seriously - by themselves.

Red Velvet Cake Whoopie Cookies
Ingredients:
1 box of red velvet cake mix
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Frosting Ingredients:
225gms cream cheese (8oz) softened (I used the spreadable)
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons milk
1 tsp vanilla
3-4 cups powdered sugar

Method:
Preheat oven to 185degrees celcius
Mix together cake mix, eggs and oil. Roll the dough in to balls the size of walnuts. Place two inches apart on baking tray.

Bake in the preheated oven until tops start to crack, about 8 minutes. Cool on trays for 10 mins and then put on wire rack to cool completely.

In a large bowl combine cream cheese, butter, milk and vanilla. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing well with each addition. If consistency is too stiff, add more milk.

Spread a generous amount of icing on the bottom cookie and sandwich it in between another cookie until the icing comes to the edge. Repeat for remaining cookies. Makes about 15-20 cookies.

The recipe for the frosting makes a large amount. Next time I will be halving it as I had to throw half of it out.

No comments: