Sunday, November 4, 2012

Strawberry 'Cheesecake'

In my search for a lower calories dessert I stumbled across the Weight Watchers Strawberry Mousse which has 125 calories for the whole packet - but it is very small and is only two serves. I love my cheese cake so did a search online to try and find a recipe that uses it. Nope none.

So it got me thinking about what I can do. A Strawberry cheesecake that has the WW Mousse and cream cheese to make it like a cheesecake. I followed the directions on the packet for the Mousse. Beat the Cream cheese until it was nice and smooth. Folded in the strawberry mousse. 

Done. Hmmm not quite. It actually tasted just like cream cheese and not strawberry. So I got out my strawberry Jam and added one tablespoon at a time and mixed it up. In total I added 5 tablespoons and it tastes so nice. For a lower calorie alternative you could use Weight Watchers Strawberry jam and it would be 81cals instead of the 160 for normal jam. 

 One thing I will point out is that it definately needs gelatin. It is sloppy. I actually remedied mine by putting it in the freezer overnight and then thawing it out again in the fridge. It was set but of course having gelatin in it would work better. Enjoy. 
I used Digestive biscuits for the base and about 4-5 tablespoons of unsalted butter but you could probably reduce the calories down even lower using something like a pretzel base. 

Strawberry Cheesecake - lower Calorie
Ingredients:
Base:
6 digestive biscuits
4-5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter

Filling:
Weight Watchers Strawberry flavoured Mousse
125 ml skim milk
250g reduced fat cream cheese - I used the 50% less fat one from Safeway.
5 tablespoons of strawberry jam
Gelatin - follow the instructions on packet for about 400ml of liquid. 

Put biscuits in food processor until they are fine crumbs. Mix the melted butter and crumbs together and put in to the base of you pie dish. Put in fridge to chill.

Mix the milk and mousse mix together until nice and thick. Beat the cream cheese until nice and smooth and fold the mousse in to it. With the mixer beat all ingredients with the jam. Add in the gelatin and mix well. 

Cover with plastic wrap (it will dry out if you don't) and put in the fridge for a couple of hours at least. 

If you don't want to use the gelatin, do what I did and put in the freezer. 

225 calories in each serve if you cut in to 12 slices - if you can bring that up to 16 slices it drops it to 150 cals per serve. 

No comments: