Monday, November 12, 2012

Low Fat Pumpkin Scones

Here in Australia we don't particularly go nuts over Pumpkin. I don't eat it or at least not unless it is roasted in the oven until now. 

I have been seeing lots and lots and lots of recipes on the net from the US that contain Pumpkin. Pumpkin Pie. Pumpkin Cheesecake. Pumpkin Brownies. You name it and you can find it somewhere. Why....??? I asked that question to all my US friends and the only responses I got were from my Aussie friends. Pumpkin is naturally sweet and is great in all these things. Think Apples. So I thought I would buy half a Butternut Pumpkin (the yanks call it Butternut Squash I believe) and cook it up. Cooked, mashed and ready to go. 

What to make with it....???

I did a search for Pumpkin Scones. My hubby mentioned liking them a little while ago so thought I would give a go and I found a low fat recipe at Food.com. I, however, did not use sugar - I used Natvia. Yep my new favourite sugar. 
Low Fat Pumpkin Scones (adjusted from Food.com)
Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups self raising flour
  • 1/4 cup Natvia (original called for 1/2 cup of sugar)
  • 1 tablespoon butter - salt reduced if you can
  • 1 cup cooked pumpkin
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 50ml milk
  • canola cooking spray


Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 220 degrees C.
  • Cream butter and sugar together (I did with a wooden spoon).
  • In a large bowl place all ingredients and mix all ingredients with wooden spoon until just mixed. 
  • Depending on the wetness of the mixture, you may need to add a little more milk.
  • Lightly grease muffin tray with spray oil and spoon in mixture. 
  • Bake for 10-15mins or until tops of muffins spring back when lightly touched.


I actually kneaded my dough a little just coz it wouldn't mix properly with the spoon. I 'cut' it with the wooden spoon so I had 12 little lumps of dough. 

These tasted divine. I am in love. Seriously the first and won't be the last time I cook these scones. 

1 comment:

Kays Kids said...

They look delicious, although it looks more like a muffin.